CLICK HERE FOR BLOGGER TEMPLATES AND MYSPACE LAYOUTS »

Tuesday, December 23, 2008

An UN-Scathing Review



First of all, anyone who has not seen the Princess Bride MUST MUST MUST go out and see it before reading this review. I do not want to spoil such an awesome movie. And yes, I do mean anyone. I recommend this movie to any and all.
Now, onward.
...................................................

True to my word, I did watch Princess Bride yesterday, and it made me so happy. I seriously think that if I ever had to choose one SINGLE movie as my favorite, PB would be it. It has everything: "Fencing. Fighting. Torture. Poison. True love. Hate. Revenge. Giants. Hunters. Bad men. Good men. Beautifulest ladies. Snakes. Spiders. Beasts of all natures and descriptions. Pain. Death. Brave men. Coward men. Strongest men. Chases. Escapes. Lies. Truths. Passion. Miracles."
(by the way, that's actually the corresponding quote from the book. I'm making this a joint review)

The Princess Bride is probably the only example of a movie I know of in which I am completely happy with the transition from book to movie. Granted, I did see the movie first, but after reading the book, I didn't get one of those, "How in the world could they have changed such-and-such?" feelings after reading it.

In fact, let me tell you story about me and the book. You know how in the movie, the Grandfather is reading the story to his grandson while the kid is sick? Well, they have that in the book except that the author William Goldman made it so that he himself was the grandson listening to his grandfather read this 'book' by 'S. Morgenstern.' There were other parts of the modern part of the story that made references to Florin and Guilder and all those different things actually existing.
I believed it! I wanted to go to Florin to see the Fire Swamp and Cliffs of Insanity and the Princess Bride museum. I wanted to go to the Morgenstern library. Months later, I looked up the book on wikipedia for some reason, and I went into shock. It revealed to me that the whole part about the grandson and Florin being a real country was all just a plot device. That's it. There was no Morgenstern, no grandfather, no Florin. I almost literally broke down because it was so heart breaking. Thankfully, it didn't scar me for life. It just made me really really annoyed for about a month.

But anyway. I really enjoyed watching the movie again because I was able to catch details I hadn't caught the first ten times seeing that movie. One thing I focused on this time through was what each character's obsession/first love/main mission was. Every single main character had one.

Westley's obession is, of course, Buttercup. In the beginning, all he wants to do is SHOW her how much he loves her. Instead of just saying, "I love you," he shows his love. Buttercup asked him to fetch a pitcher that must have only been twelve inches away from her. His actions speak louder than words as he walks over to her and gives her the pot, whispering, "As you wish." Though he was captured by the Dread Pirate Roberts and eventually became Dread Pirate Roberts, he never lost sight of his goal: to get Buttercup back which he does at the end.
Inigo's main mission is to avenge his father and kill the Six Fingered Man. The book talks about how Inigo had always imagined how it would play out with pleas, bribe attempts, and all sorts of other fun, but then decided to go for the simplest thing: "Hello, my name is Inigo Montoya. You killed my father. Prepare to die." This is an obsession. He spent about twenty years just training with the sword and strengthening himself. He's so good he even fights extremely well left handedly.

I could go on and on and on with character analysis, but this review is getting a tad long. I'd like to hear from y'all. What is your favorite moment from the book or movie? And what do you think a character's obsession is?

7 musings:

Tricia Keierleber said...

I did my "review" on the book last spring, and I think it is AMAZING, and I have always loved the movie too!!! Def one of my all time favs!!!

Edge said...

I've seen/read both, and am still a bit unsure...it was so dizzying. But good, I'd say.

Q said...

I've always loved The Princess Bride.

I don't think Fezzik has an obvious motivation--at least, not one as strong as Westley or Inigo.

Lady Brainsample said...

Tricia: Definitely. I grew up on this movie, and my appreciation of it has only grown.

Edge: Dizzying with the whole plot device with William Goldman wrestling with the Morgenstern Estate? Cause that got weird... *mutters something about believing in a fictional country...*

Q: Definitely not as strong as Inigo or Westley, but Fezzik in the book hated to be alone. They didn't go into it with the movie, but when he was little, his parents forced him to do all the wrestling by threatening to leave him by himself forever. At least, that's how I remember it. ;)

PiningForTheFjords said...

Now if we had a wheelbarrow, that would be something!

Q said...

You're right. It's been a while since I read that book, but now that you mention it I remember.

Lady Brainsample said...

PiningForTheFjords: Where did we put that whellbarrow the albino had?

Q: What I also always loved about Fezzik was his love for rhymes. That was more prominent in the book as well. Ah well, movies can't pull it all off.