CLICK HERE FOR BLOGGER TEMPLATES AND MYSPACE LAYOUTS »

Wednesday, October 29, 2008

C.S. Lewis

"You don't have a soul. You are a Soul. You have a body."

“Though our feelings come and go, God’s love for us does not.”

"Until you have given up your self to Him you will not have a real self..."

"Aim at heaven and you will get earth thrown in. Aim at earth and you get neither."

"Education without values, as useful as it is, seems rather to make man a more clever devil."

“God, who foresaw your tribulation, has specially armed you to go through it, not without pain but without stain”

“The very man who has argued you down, will sometimes be found, years later, to have been influenced by what you said”

“I believe in Christianity as I believe that the sun has risen: not only because I see it, but because by it I see everything else.”

"Christianity, if false, is of no importance, and if true, of infinite importance. The only thing it cannot be is moderately important."

"A man can no more diminish God's glory by refusing to worship Him than a lunatic can put out the sun by scribbling the word, 'darkness' on the walls of his cell."

"Don't use words too big for the subject. Don't say "infinitely" when you mean "very"; otherwise you'll have no word left when you want to talk about something really infinite."

“You will never know how much you believe something until it is a matter of life and death.”

"My argument against God was that the universe seemed so cruel and unjust. But how had I got this idea of just and unjust? A man does not call a line crooked unless he has some idea of a straight line. What was I comparing this universe with when I called it unjust?"

5 musings:

Edge said...

I love the "infinitely" quote: I have the same pet peeve when people say 'literally' and don't mean it.

PiningForTheFjords said...

Those are great quotes. I especially like the "soul" one and the "tribulation" one - very comforting. Here's something totally unrelated - a quote from Ben Franklin: "Those who give up essential liberty, to preserve a little temporary safety, deserve neither liberty nor safety."

Lady Brainsample said...

Edge: Yeah, that's annoying.

piningforthefjords: Gotta love Ben Franklin. Good quote.

Miss Dawn said...

I like it :) I'm going to steal it and put it on my Facebook :)

Tricia Keierleber said...

yep totally stealing these! :)