CLICK HERE FOR BLOGGER TEMPLATES AND MYSPACE LAYOUTS »

Saturday, October 18, 2008

Exasperation and a Confession

Things drive me nuts sometimes. There is no way around that.
Shareware is one of those things.
Picture if you will, this circumstance: Someone finds software online that they need for filmmaking. Nowhere on the website it is downloaded from does it say that it is a trial period. Yet after thirty inconspicuous days pass, the person using that software to make his movies gets the message "Your trial period has passed. View pricing options here."
That in and of itself makes him mad. Then he decides that he does actually need that software. He goes to the site and proceeds to download the WRONG program for a sum of money. After an hour of researching, he finds out that his computer won't even use that kind of program. He tries to find some way of returning it, but he sees that the stupid Australian company (no offense Aussies, I love y'all's accents) has a no return, no refund, no nothing way of fixing the problem policy.
Now he's been ripped off and has to go to Best Buy to find a better solution...
Oh well. I guess there are worse things that can happen. Maybe now I'll....excuse me, *he* will get software that's even better than the stupid Australian company can offer.
Now to the confession....
I know in the blog world there are many wonderful writers. Writers who are amazing at their craft and pour themselves into it. (Edge and Miss Erin to name a couple.)
I am not one of those people.
Don't get me wrong, I love writing, but it doesn't, as Gwendolyn from the Importance of Being Earnest would say, "Stir within me the deepest fibers of my nature."
What I enjoy more is pulling things from a piece of writing.
Take today for an example. I have acting class on Monday, so today's the day I do all the homework and preparation for that class. I have spent hours of solitude picking through a monologue and a scene using clues from the writer to form my characters. (the monologue is Mrs. Chevely from An Ideal Husband by Oscar Wilde and the scene is Ann from All My Sons by Arthur Miller)
Whenever I try to write, I always find myself wanting to DO what the characters are doing rather than just to write about what they do.
Hence, I am an actor.
Who am I kidding....Hence, I am a total theater geek. Let us call a spade a spade.

9 musings:

PiningForTheFjords said...

I don't know why you would say "no offense Aussies". What kind of lame country would let the gov't confiscate their guns? I have no respect for them. They can just use their nice accents to whine about rising crime rates.

Countess Madeline said...

Hi, Esther! I've been trying to set up a Google Account so I can comment here and am just checking if this works.

Lady Brainsample said...

Yay! That's awesome! Thanks for commenting. :)

Edge said...

Aw, thanks! I run into that problem too - I have trouble writing because I want to just go drive that car, jump that fence, tell off that person like my characters do. That's (very honestly) part of why I write: the first few re-reads, in which it's almost like reading someone else's work...

I sympathise with the technology problems. I've had that happen (just the trial period expire). And technology doesn't take kindly to me right now.

Lady Brainsample said...

piningforthefjords: True, true.

Edge: You're welcome! I love your stuff.

Erin said...

Oh, that is so sweet of you to say!
But I believe I'm more like you than you think - while I really enjoy writing, LOVE writing, probably couldn't live without writing - it doesn't do for me what acting does. It's ACTING that "stirs within me the deepest fibers of my nature."
But thanks for the super-kind words. :)

Lady Brainsample said...

Erin: It's one of those unexplainable feelings isn't it? Mom always says she has no idea where it came from.

PMF Superman said...

This is a very deep post with an important clue as to your makeup, and I will take the necessary time to understand and digest it thoroughly, given respect to the efforts you put into a careful introspective self-study.

Until then, the following comes to mind:

You always, always say "Be true to yourself," but you never say which part of yourself to be true to! Well, I finaly figured out who I am: I am your ward. IncrediBoy! - Buddy

Lady Brainsample said...

pmf superman: Does that mean I don't have to go to law school?