CLICK HERE FOR BLOGGER TEMPLATES AND MYSPACE LAYOUTS »

Thursday, September 11, 2008

9/11/01



In the craziness of Hurricane Ike plowing through, it's easy to forget the events of seven years ago. I was only eight when it happened, but I remember distinctly the events of the day. We were on vacation at the Lake when Dad called my mom and grandparents to tell them to turn on the tv. When I woke up (hours later, I was still a late sleeper back then) the tv was on, and nothing normal was happening. They kept showing the collapse. Every once in a while there would be a different vantage point, but it was the same thing. The Two Towers were destroyed. As an eight year old, I can't remember what went through my mind. I can't remember how I felt.
But, I know how I feel now. I feel PROUD to be an American. I deeply appreciate the sacrifice of firefighters in New York as well as anyone else who helped. I am deeply sorry for the families who lost loved ones.
So, in the business of preparing for a natural disaster, we should still remember. Remember the lives lost. Remember the sorrow. But we should also remember that God used that time. Because of the attack, we were alerted to Islamist extreme groups that may have killed MANY more people.
I will never forget what happened. And it is my prayer that we keep praying. Keep praying for our troops and our leaders that they would be wise in matters regarding our security.

In regards Ike---we are not evacuating. Our house is built on high ground. Worse case scenario is that we get either a tornado or flying debris. But, if our pets go, so do we. As my neighbors said: "We will suffer the same fate as our horses."

Please be in prayer for us, as well as everyone in the area of the Gulf Coast.

1 musings:

PiningForTheFjords said...

Here's one thing that went through your eight-year-old mind: I wish my mom would quit watching disaster TV for our whole vacation.

But seriously, the nation does seem to have become forgetful. We are vulnerable, and there are those out there who hate us.