CLICK HERE FOR BLOGGER TEMPLATES AND MYSPACE LAYOUTS »

Tuesday, September 16, 2008

LOST: Pilot Parts 1 and 2



It's amazing how when watching the series again (for me, the third time) you can find so many details that you missed before. Knowing the characters beforehand, you can see so much better the foreshadowing of their backstories.
Another thing that the writers establish is that they are going to mess with you throughout the entire series. They will itch your brain, twist its thinking, then throw it out when they're done.
Here's my story on the first time watching the series.....
Mom and I got the first disc finally because she read a good review on it in World Magazine. I wanted to see it because of another good review and Dominic Monahan from LotR. So we started watching it a night that Dad went out to be a cop. We watched the whole disc....late into the night.... My description of us in two words would be culture shock. It was SO amazing, we were speechless.
Because we were done with the disc, we got mad, so we converted our netflix queues to each send Lost discs. We had the next two discs with us on our way to Florida. Mom and I watched them on her computer, and when Dad called, they had this conversation:

"Hello?"
"Hey! What are y'all doing?"
"Driving."
"Where are you?"
"I-10."
"What are you up to?"
"Nothing.
"Oh."
"Gotta go. Love you, bye."

Dad wouldn't understand the obsession till he came in at the middle of the series and saw for himself how good it was.

Favorite moments of Pilot episodes:
*All of Charlie's close calls with death. That's foreshadowing right there.
*Eager Beaver Boone going for a pen
*All of Jack's contorted faces (thus giving leave for the fans to call him Jackface)
*Jin offering all the different fish to others
*Walt looking at what is to be revealed as Hurley's comic book
*Locke teaching Walt how to play backgammon (Mom still hasn't found her set yet....grr.)

STILL unanswered questions:Why did Rose say that the Monster sounded familiar?
Is it because the Monster would be related to her cancer or is it related to her living in the Bronx?

Featured characters:
Jack-I'm mellowing....I don't hate Jack as much as I used to. Yes, he's a jerk sometimes and he IS a doctor, but I'm mellowing....He is very amusing, and I loved his story of fear.
Kate-I still don't like her. It's fitting that she's an outlaw.
Charlie-dear, dear Charlie. I've met more Charlie fans than any other character. He also gets one of the most definitive lines of Lost ever: "Guys, where are we?"

1 musings:

PiningForTheFjords said...

Maybe the only reason Rose said that is that they were referring to the cab ticker thing that they got the noise from.