CLICK HERE FOR BLOGGER TEMPLATES AND MYSPACE LAYOUTS »

Tuesday, September 2, 2008

Walk the Line

First thing I will say about this movie: the acting is amazing. Having seen Joaquin Phoenix and Reese Witherspoon in completely different roles and voices, I was blown away. Witherspoon in my mind went from the head in the clouds English girl Cecily from the Importance of Being Earnest to the sassafrass country gal June Carter. Phoenix went from Merill Hess and Lucius Hunt (from Signs and the Village) to the Man in Black himself, Johnny Cash. His voice...oh my gosh....when he sang Walk the Line and Ring of Fire shivers went up my spine, he sounded so much like Cash.

I loved this movie, but I wonder how much of it is completely true to Johnny Cash's life. Mom said someone told her they made him out worse than he actually was. To rectify the situation, I have on order a copy of Cash: the Autobiography. When I read it, I'll be sure to give my thoughts on it.


To close, here's a quote from Sam Philips in the movie.

"Bring... bring it home? All right, let's bring it home. If you was hit by a truck and you was lying out there in that gutter dying, and you had one time to sing one song. Huh? One song that people would remember before you're dirt. One song that would let God know how you felt about your time here on Earth. One song that would sum you up. You tellin' me that's the song you'd sing? That same Jimmy Davis tune we hear on the radio all day, about your peace within, and how it's real, and how you're gonna shout it? Or... would you sing somethin' different. Somethin' real. Somethin' you felt. Cause I'm telling you right now, that's the kind of song that truly saves people."

2 musings:

Tricia Keierleber said...

From what I know of Johnny, is that he had a darker past, but he was a believer! Who of us does not have a dark past before we knew Christ? :) We like him, (I haven't seen the movie, but I did skim over his bio for a music appreciation project in college). You HAVE to hear the song by him, "Ragged Old Flag!" Extra points if you don't get a little chocked up! :)

I LOVE Palin! I just heard so awesome stuff about her on Dobson's show which I am about to blog about! :)

PiningForTheFjords said...

I love "Ragged Old Flag!" No extra points for me.